Kilimanjaro Challenge 2011

Welcome to my blog!

Follow the ups and downs of the biggest challenge I've ever faced. My friend Justine and I are climbing Kilimanjaro in February 2011 and are hoping to raise £10,000 for Naomi House Children's Hospice.

Thanks for visiting.
K

Kili

Kili



Thursday 11 March 2010

So, a second update! Well, since I was last here, we've had a team huddle with our campaign manager (a neighbour we've roped in to helping us - sounds very grand!) and booked four events in our local village hall across the year which we hope to raise money at. We've been in touch with a very worthwhile local charity, Naomi House Children's Hospice who have been very supportive and both Justine and I are very excited to be able to raise money for them with our big challenge!!

We started out with the best intentions on our training and pounded the 3mile loop around the village on a weekend. After we mentioned our regular walk to other villagers, it seems to have turned into a social event and we are often joined by other ladies (and sometimes some small dogs) which makes for a lovely Sunday morning, but I'm not sure it's going to get us up a mountain! I've started running the route on a Saturday morning. The first time I finished the run a few weeks ago, I spent the whole of Saturday in a bizarre endorphin related haze of euphoria, quickly followed on Sunday by the shuffling grumblings fit for a woman of 90. A runner, I ain't!! However, I have persevered (much kudos to Emma here for making me go) and have completed the circuit a few times now and I have to say it's getting easier. Although, I don't seem to be getting thinner - surely it can't be anything to do with the food I stuffing into myself can it?? *wry smile*

Spring is coming and the nights are getting shorter and we have plans for more exercise in the evenings during the week. We're also considering doing a training climb up Snowdon later in the year - it all seems rather serious! Frankly, the less time I have to spend under canvas sleeping in the great outdoors the better but I don't suppose that's really the attitude (note to self: must try harder).

I've been to visit some of the big outdoorsy shops up in Covent Garden. I was more than a little intimidated. They are full of all these bright young things, and by young I mean 12 (alright, maybe 20) who are lean and full of energy and give the slightly pudgy 30 something rather sideways looks when I tell them of our plans and ask them which sleeping bag they recommend.... I'm then pointed in the direction of the worlds most overprice coffin lining (£300 for a sleeping bag - honestly, I ask you!! I only want to sleep in it for 6 nights!!) so I'm now on the hunt for places to rent stuff out. Apparently, you can rent pretty much everything you'd need, which is great, as long as I don't think to hard about who'll have been sleeping in my bag before me (must by a bag liner - I've only recently learned that such a thing exists!).

So that's it for now, I'm off for a well deserved glass of wine. I'm in total denial about the prospect of giving up booze for a while before we go. I stopped smoking a few years ago and the odd vino collapso is now my crutch of choice. I figure with all this running and healthy type business I can treat myself ....

No comments:

Post a Comment